POSITION SUMMARY The Chief Innovation Officer plays a key role in the development, implementation and communication of innovative projects and plans. Rochester Hills is recognized as a national model for its high quality of life services and commitment to effective local government. The successful candidate will join a talented team and work closely with the Mayor and Leadership to accelerate the City's continued development and facilitation of innovative initiatives.
This position provides leadership in promoting a culture of innovation and operational efficiency within the City. Provides direction and input on communications strategy and messaging; coordinates and provides leadership on special projects and new initiatives; and represents the Office of the Mayor as assigned. Provides responsive, courteous, and efficient customer service in support of departmental operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned. Strategy
1. Provides counsel to the Mayor and the City on matters of strategic importance, including innovative ways to solve complex problems and improve resident satisfaction and experiences.
2. Develops, reviews and interprets complex policies affecting the City; conducts research (including the biennial resident survey) and procedural, organizational and administrative studies and prepares reports on proposed or recommended solutions or courses of action for the Mayor.
3. Reviews proposed policies and procedures from departments to advise the Mayor on adoption and/or implementation.
4. Researches local government best practices, evaluates and recommends implementation opportunities for the City.
5. Develops and nurtures strategic partnerships with businesses, non-profits, community partners, and governments throughout the City and region.
Chief Innovation Officer.docx 12/07/2021
6. Assists the Mayor to develop and articulate a future-focused vision for local government services.
7. Provides leadership for and communication with the Mayor’s Advisory Committee on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
8. Gleans insights from and shares relevant data from sources/resources like the U.S. Census and SEMCOG.
9. Facilitates relationships with organizations, like the U.S. Conference of Mayors, that benefit the City.
10. Coordinates with the Mayor regarding State and Federal lobbying efforts for the City.
11. Writes speeches and presentations, prepares talking points, and helps to respond to press inquiries. Assists with the preparation of press releases, proclamations, and resolutions.
12. Provides strategic direction and ideas for the annual State of the City address.
13. Provides relevant content for www.rochesterhills.org.
14. Formulates effective strategies for communicating the Rochester Hills brand and quality of life offerings.
15. Identifies new opportunities to communicate with citizens and businesses.
16. Provides ideas, direction and questions for the Mayor’s podcast, “Right Down the Street.”
17. Participates as a member of the Mayor’s Communications Team.
18. Develops and maintains consistent metrics and tools to measure the effectiveness of current and future service delivery.
19. Works with departments to develop data analytics to measure and improve operations.
20. Works with departments to analyze existing practices to identify opportunities for improvement or enhancement.
21. Assists departments with research, advocacy and facilitation of new technologies and efficiencies.
22. Leads innovation efforts, as assigned, to reduce costs and develop creative alternative revenue opportunities.
23. Develops training programs to stress innovation throughout the organization and actively promotes a culture of innovation.
24. Develops tasks, timelines and milestones; facilitates meetings and documents processes for the successful implementation of the priorities of the Mayor’s office.
25. Assists with City events, ground-breakings and ribbon cuttings. Participates on the Mayor’s Creativity Committee.
26. Provides support to the Mayor for and attends City Council meetings as needed.
Chief Innovation Officer.docx 12/07/2021
27. Facilitates cross-department projects and teams, ensuring successful project implementation and evaluation.
28. Develops, executes and administers educational millage campaigns and sponsorship programs.
29. Coordinates grant administration; assists with grant research and proposal writing.
30. Coordinates special projects relating to activities of the Mayor’s Office.
31. Assists with the Mayor’s Office student intern program in conjunction with Human Resources staff.
32. Supports internal employee-led committees, including the Wellness Committee and the City of Rochester Hills Diversity Equity & Inclusion Employee Council.
33. Other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
● Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, marketing, public administration, or closely related field;
● Four (4) years’ experience in a public administration or organizational development related experience; and
● Leadership experience.
● Advanced proficiency with general office computers and related business software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Internet and email.
● Extensive strategic communications planning and marketing experience.
● Master’s degree in a related field.
REQUIRED JOB COMPETENCIES
[Please note that the competencies listed below will be further refined to identify performance expectations for each job as part of the performance review process.]
Leading and Managing Change
● Develops and communicates goals that support organizational mission and values.
● Demonstrates support for innovation and for changes that improve the organization’s effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, implementing and helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
● Works cooperatively with others as a team member or leader; demonstrates interest, skill and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
Communicating and Influencing
● Ensures that information is passed on appropriately and in a timely manner to others who should be kept informed.
● Uses tact and diplomacy as appropriate in addressing sensitive matters. Respects confidentiality.
● Expresses ideas clearly in verbal interactions with others.
● Expresses concepts clearly and concisely in business writing, using appropriate grammar, punctuation and style.
● Plans and delivers oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade intended audiences.
● Demonstrates interpersonal awareness; notices, interprets, and anticipates others’ concerns and feelings, and shows empathy toward others.
● Gains the support of others for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions.
● Develops, maintains and strengthens internal and external partnerships with others who can provide information, assistance and support.
Strategic Analysis and Problem Solving
● Identifies information needed to clarify a situation and acquires information needed from appropriate sources.
● Approaches problems analytically, using logical, systematic and sequential thought processes.
● Conceptualizes and seeks effective solutions to more complex situations by taking a holistic, abstract, or theoretical perspective.
● Demonstrates a depth of knowledge and skill in public administration, public policy and policy analysis; provides expert advice and keeps informed regarding current developments.
Initiative and Results Orientation
● Identifies what needs to be done and demonstrates initiative by taking action or preemptive measures as appropriate.
● Focuses on desired results, sets challenging but achievable goals and maintains commitment to achieving results.
● Looks for unique opportunities, proposes ideas and demonstrates willingness to take calculated risks to achieve organizational goals.
● Works cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
● Prepares, organizes and reviews work to ensure completeness and accuracy; follows up with others to ensure that commitments and agreements have been fulfilled.
● Demonstrates decisiveness and willingness to make difficult decisions in a timely manner.
Credibility and Self-Management
● Maintains confidentiality in sensitive City matters.
● Demonstrates ethical conduct, integrity and respect for the City’s image and reputation at all times.
● Maintains self-confidence, professionalism and an appropriate degree of assertiveness in the face of challenge, opposition or hostility.
● Functions effectively under pressure; employs humor and other methods to reduce stress.
● Conveys personal credibility, reliability, trustworthiness; respects confidentiality of information or concerns shared by others.
● Conveys openness to new or different ideas, perspectives or ways of doing things.
● Adjusts work schedule as necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, including intermittent evening, weekend and out-of-town travel commitments.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environment characteristics described in this description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions or as otherwise required by law. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be submitted to the Human Resources Department.
● This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, frequently requires standing, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feeland repetitive motions and occasionally requires walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and reaching with hands and arms.
● Work has standard vision requirements.
● Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
● Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
● Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities.
● Work has no unusual exposure to environmental conditions.
● Work is generally in a moderately noisy office setting (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Nothing in this job description limits management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.